(If you experience difficulties donating, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and "CC" it to email@example.com) Checks can be made to the address below. Thank you!
Stop Shaken Baby Syndrome, Inc. is launching a country-wide Train-the-Trainer program, so that family members personally affected by Shaken Baby Syndrome can prevent SBS in their communities through educational workshops. Your support will make this possible.
Shaken Baby Syndrome most often occurs unintentionally in a moment of frustration when a parent or caregiver cannot console a baby who won’t stop crying. When a baby or small child is shaken for as little as 3 seconds, he or she can suffer life-long brain injury, debilitating physical and mental disability, or even death.
StopSBS, Inc. Co-Founder and Director Shannon Byron has been committed to preventing SBS since her daughter Chelsea was shaken by her father when she was 3 months old. Shannon's experience living with the consequences of SBS enabled her to create a practical, moving, and unforgettable workshop curriculum that helps parents and caregivers understand and prevent this devastating form of child abuse. After educating communities throughout New England for the last 7 years, this small nonprofit founded by two mothers is now ready to expand across the country – and we need your help!
Our Train-the-Trainers program will:
· Train educators in 12 or more states - who will later go on to train more educators - exponentially growing our educational reach with a domino effect across the country. Ultimately tens of thousands, and eventually hundreds of thousands, of individuals will be helped with preventative education.
· Uniquely equip family members of SBS survivors with the tools to turn their personal tragedy into newfound purpose: giving life-saving educational workshops throughout their community and state. This will help affected families heal and move forward, ensuring that their child’s injury was not in vain.
· Equip trainers with everything they need to teach prevention workshops and create an outreach plan to strategically impact parents, parents-at-risk, and caregivers.
· Increase the exchange of SBS information and support through a network of affected families.
· Help families of survivors financially.
· Bring HOPE that together we can make change.
By supporting this initiative, you will prevent new life-long injuries from happening to countless babies and small children across the country. The more we raise, the more we train!
If you prefer to send a check, or Paypal doesn't work for you, you may send a check to StopSBS, Inc./ 15 Walnut St./ Saugus, MA 01906 with a note about your desired perks.
Reasons to donate and share:
· This is a monumental moment for our organization: up until now we’ve had virtually no organizational funding and have worked entirely as unpaid volunteers. This is our opportunity to expand our reach and impact drastically. SBS is 100% preventable with education.
· Please donate generously (it’s tax deductible!). With crowdfunding campaigns on Indiegogo, we keep a higher percentage of the donations if we reach or exceed our goal.
· April is Child Abuse Prevention Awareness Month and we aim to educate thousands of people about SBS through this video, so please share widely and often through your networks!
· Check out the perks in the right-hand column to see what you’ll receive in return for your donation. You'll find pictures of the perks below.
Where your money will go:
· SBS Training Kits including Simulator Doll
· Pre-printed materials, including brochures and flyers
· Marketing materials for launching an Awareness Campaign
· A training DVD tailored to suit the trainer’s individual experiences and story
· Costs associated with travel and organizational outreach for the Train-the-Trainer program
Shannon Byron speaking at the annual SBS Stroll to Prevent Shaken Baby Syndrome.
About Shaken Baby Syndrome:
Each year in the United States alone an estimated 1,400 – 1,600 babies are diagnosed with Shaken Baby Syndrome. SBS is the leading cause of death in abusive head trauma cases in children. Because many children have been misdiagnosed, haven’t sought treatment, or, in cases of death, were not given an autopsy, it is widely believed that the actual number of SBS victims is almost triple that of the diagnosed cases.
Shaken Baby Syndrome is a form of child abuse with severe consequences.Approximately 1/3 of the diagnosed victims will suffer mild to moderate lifelong disabilities, 1/3 will suffer moderate to severe lifelong disabilities, 1/3 of these children will die, while only about 7% of survivors will develop seemingly without issue. However, new research suggests there may be a connection between children who have been shaken and later diagnosed with ADD, oppositional defiance disorder, Asperger’s, and autism. Visit http://stopsbs.org/facts/ for more information.
About our Organization:
Shannon Byron’s daughter Chelsea was shaken on February 14th, 2001, resulting in cerebral palsy, cortical visual impairment, epilepsy, and reflux. Devastated that her child endured horrific injuries at the hands of her father, Shannon soon came to find that Shaken Baby Syndrome was actually quite common. It was also 100% preventable. She feverishly scoured the internet for any resources to help her traverse endless doctors' consultations, therapy appointments, and corrective operations for her daughter. She soon came across Cindy Franciosa, a children's advocate for preventing Shaken Baby Syndrome, who was spearheading an awareness campaign in her community. In 2007, these two mothers joined to form Stop Shaken Syndrome, Inc, a 501c3 registered nonprofit committed to the eradication of Shaken Baby Syndrome through preventative education. As it became clear that something so pervasive in their communities was not being addressed head-on, they began dedicating their time to presentations, lectures, workshops and training, which has continued for the past 7 years. To see media coverage of StopSBS, Inc. visithttp://stopsbs.org/media/.
StopSBS, Inc. is unique among SBS-focused nonprofits in that our stance is one of love and change. While we understand that every instance of Shaken Baby Syndrome is a preventable tragedy, we don’t advocate for longer sentences or for “otherizing” abusers. While some cases of SBS are caused maliciously, the overwhelming majority are caused unknowingly or unintentionally by a parent or caregiver who becomes momentarily frustrated with a child and shakes him or her vigorously for a few life-changing moments. Our organization understands that caring for a baby or young child can indeed be difficult and frustrating, and equips new and at-risk parents and caregivers with practical techniques for dealing with stress safely and never taking frustrations out on a child.
Thank you so much from our family to yours!